A personal umbrella policy is designed to provide liability protection over and above the limited liability limits provided by any home, condo, rental property, auto & watercraft insurance policies you have. Umbrella policies can protect your personal assets and future earnings from being exposed in an unexpectedly large liability settlement or judgement.
Umbrella policies are purchased in $1,000,000 increments up to $50,000,000 or more.
Examples where an umbrella provides invaluable protection are:
- A driver is involved in an accident and a highly paid executive is injured and disabled for life. A jury awards the injured person $2,000,000 and the responsible driver’s auto policy only provides $300,000 of liability coverage.
- A delivery person slips on an icy or in need of repair step. A settlement is reached out of court for $700,000 but the home insurance policy only provides a $500,000 limit.
- A young child suffers visible and permanent lacerations when bitten by a dog when walking by a neighbor’s home. A jury awards $800,000 due to the nature of the injury and the dog’s owner only has $300,000 of liability coverage on their home insurance.
- A man improperly installs a diving board at his former home and it results in serious injury to the next owner. An out of court settlement is reached for $2,500,000 and your home insurance only provided $500,000 of liability coverage.
- You never think it will happen to you and it most likely won’t. In the unlikely event it does, purchasing an umbrella policy now provides a low cost means of transferring the potential financial burden to an insurance company for a modest annual premium.
- A $1,000,000 Umbrella policy (higher limits may be advisable based on your assets) might typically cost $160 – $300 depending on how many homes, autos and boats you own or lease. The small additional cost may be what provides you protection from an unforeseen settlement or judgment as well as paying for your attorney’s fee.
- If you don’t currently have an umbrella policy call us for an umbrella quote